You have had some of the symptoms, your period was late, and you finally bit the bullet and took a pregnancy test. You nervously waited the mandatory three minutes. You prayed, willed, and demanded that the test only have one line. It felt like the longest three minutes of your entire life. When you were finally brave enough, you slowly opened one eye and then the other. You held your breath as you looked at the test. Your face became hot and flushed as you saw the two lines screaming POSITIVE staring back at you.
Sound familiar?? If you are reading this then chances are it has happened or is happening to you! You are probably feeling very overwhelmed at the moment. You might be feeling shock, guilt, resentment, and dismay. You may be even thinking “now what?”
If you’ve just finished staring at that positive pregnancy test, I have a few tips for you.
- Before you start trying to decide if you should parent or make an adoption plan, give yourself a few days to breathe and deal with the reality that you are indeed pregnant.
- Find an OBGYN and make an appointment to find out how far along you are.
- Immediately stop any activities that may be harmful to your unborn baby, such as smoking, drinking alcohol, drug use, and taking harmful medication.
- Depending on your situation, share the news with your baby’s father.
- Tell someone you trust (best friend, family member, etc.) the news.
- Take care of you. You are probably feeling very overwhelmed and stressed, so be sure to take care of yourself.
- Get plenty of rest, eat properly, and drink lots of water.
- Remember that you are not alone. Although, you may feel like you have little support, you are not alone. Many other women are faced with unplanned pregnancies so you are not the first going through this. And you certainly will not be the last.
Just give yourself a few days to absorb this news. You are going to have some tough decisions ahead of you so don’t rush into anything.