Parenting Information

As we mentioned on the Overview page, it’s important to research both your options. While BirthMom Buds primarily provides support to women once they have chosen adoption or placed a child for adoption, this page will contain some parenting information.

Things to Consider

As you explore parenting you will need to think about a few things.

  • Where will my child and I live?
  • Who will help me care for my child or will I be a single parent?
  • Will I receive any financial support from my baby’s father?
  • Where will my child stay while I am working or in school?
  • You also need to think about how you will provide the following:
  • Housing and expenses that go along with housing such as power, water, etc.
  • Food
  • Child care (if you must work to support yourself and your child)
  • Transportation (a vehicle, gas, and insurance or public transportation)
  • Baby clothing and diapers
  • Formula and bottles
  • Baby furniture, crib, and other baby necessities
  • Doctor’s bills for well-baby check-ups and for illnesses

Parenting Resources

Finances could be one of the biggest reasons you may be considering adoption. Research, educate, and seek out resources that could assist you in keeping your baby and parenting him or her. Even if you ultimately decide that adoption is the best option for your baby, at least you did your research and can know that you thoroughly checked out all your options.

There are government resources available to help you. This by all means is not a complete list of parenting resources but just a few of the more well known resources that could be of assistance to you should you decide to parent.


WIC stands for Women, Infants, and Children. WIC provides nutritional supplements, nutrition information, and health care referrals to low-income pregnant women, infants, and children up to age five. To apply for WIC, you will need to call the agency in your state that handles WIC. When you call, they will help you find the location nearest to you and then you will set up an appointment.


Medicaid provides healthcare to low income families and is available to families who meet the eligibility requirements. Medicaid is administered by state and not the federal government so the requirements of eligibility differ depending on your state of residence.

Food Stamps

The Food Stamps Program allows low income families to buy nutritious food using Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards. If approved, you can use your food stamp benefits to purchase approved foods in grocery stores that take EBT cards.


The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development can assist you with housing assistance, finding affordable housing in your area, and refer you to agencies in your state that may be of assistance to you. You can visit the HUD website or call toll free at (800) 569-4287.

Child Care Assistance - Child care assistance is available to eligible families through state agencies that administer Federal Child Care and Development grants. Each state determines eligibility requirements for families. Child Care Aware can assist you in finding and applying for assistance in your area. You can visit their web site at or call 1-800-424-2246 to locate an agency near you.

Child Support

You are entitled to child support whether you are involved in a steady relationship with your baby’s father or not. The Office of Child Support Enforcement can assist you in obtaining child support.

Single Mother Resources

The Single Mother Resources website has a lot of practical information for single mothers as well as information on scholarships and grants that are available to single mothers.

Also check out places like Craigslist, Free Cycle, and with local churches and community organizations for discounted items or assistance with baby necessities like a crib, car seat, baby clothes, and diapers.